Standard Bank Job Dar es salaam April, 2020
Job Title: Client Coverage – Corporate & Investment Banking
Define and execute strategic client plans that will ensure the development of strong business relationships and the delivery of profitable and integrated Standard Bank products and services, with the purpose of ensuring client profitability, increased revenue, risk optimisation and consistent service delivery.
- Lead the development and execution of strategic client plans (together with the core CST) and manage and drive the implementation of client plans.
- Client plans developed and implemented.
- Continuously research and analyse the clients’ business context, operations and financial performance.
- Discuss current and future business opportunities with clients, and therefore position Standard Bank as a strategic advisor.
Client service team formation & management
- Identify individuals best suited to meet the client’s needs across products to form part of the core Client Service Teams (CSTs) (i.e. based on client opportunity and to be reviewed regularly).
- Client service teams formed and properly directed to service the client effectively.
- Manage Client Relationship Teams across relevant geographies (when applicable) by ensuring that individuals are clear on their contribution and expected outcomes.
- Client service teams properly informed and clear on their responsibilities and accountabilities.
- Leverage, engage and collaborate with the Bank’s internal network to ensure that all the Bank’s relevant expertise is brought to bear in every client interaction, robust and stable client service (in partnership with business lines) is maintained, client results are delivered and that any impediments to client delivery are overcome through the availability of credible internal resources to build and leverage strong long-term relationships with the client’s key decision makers
- Virtual teams collaborate to share relevant expertise and deliver the best suited solution to the client.
- Regularly communicate client strategic opportunities to the extended CST, and lead effective communication sharing within the CST.
- Broad and effective client stakeholder relationship management, coordination and monitoring across each client contact point.
Client coordination & relationship management
- Develop critical relationships with client decision makers and regularly define and communicate commercial opportunities for new and existing clients of SB.
- Personally, maintain and deepen client relationships at the appropriate level and foster long-term client interest.
- Oversee the execution of client activities in line with developed strategic client plans.
Implementation of the client strategic plans.
- Develop and align detailed client marketing plans (with inputs from the GM.TPS, Risk and IB coverage) and drive the client’s pricing and ROE (including relevant drivers e.g. risk grade, industry outlook, etc.)
- Ensure overall client profitability.
- Coordinate relevant programmes for each client (including entertainment and economic/sector road shows) and participate in key decision making activities by the client to ensure that the bank is included in any request of advisory and financing services.
- Positioning of Standard Bank in the client’s environment as the preferred advisor.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of the client’s strategy, business, financial performance, industry outlook/trends, specific sector knowledge and general macroeconomic issues and trends in the country and other relevant geographies and ensure that this is transferred to the relevant internal stakeholders.
Proactively respond and anticipate client requirements.
- Ensure the administration and analysis of the Client Service Surveys, as well as the implementation of focused action plans needed to address the gaps identified.
- Ensure that gaps identified are addressed and that there is improvement in levels of client satisfaction.
- Provide sector strategy support and input
- Support the Global and / or Sector Head in the overall management and coordination of the client relationship and client/sector strategy including the provision of input into the strategic direction and value proposition of Standard Bank.
- Client support aligned to the sector or client strategy and business development approach.
- Maintain detailed and current understanding of external markets (at country, sector and client level) to ensure that new opportunities for the bank are capitalised and threats are quickly identified.
- Deep understanding of the industry’s market environment and opportunities and continuous assessment of competitor landscapes, threats and commercial opportunities for the client.
- Drive and own annual budgets together with product houses and monitor actual performance against budget, drive product cross-sell and client profitability
- Improved client returns.
- Manage overall client cost and revenue including the monthly tracking of revenue contributions per client as well as the understanding of key drivers and variances to proactively respond to threats of reducing opportunity.
- Improved client revenue retention, profitability and growth.
Credit and risk management
- Drive and provide input to timeous preparation, review, sign-off and motivation of PCC and credit paper submissions (managing end-to-end credit process including facility letters, regularisation of conditions, etc.) and optimally allocate credit limits and manage exposures across product and geography.
- Enhanced credit and risk management cover.
- Act as the “first line of defence” as required by the Credit Standard.
Bank product knowledge & capabilities
- Maintain a proficient knowledge of products, services and capabilities across the bank (in all relevant geographies and sectors) to ensure relevant and informed client conversations.
- Leverage research products offered by the bank for the client’s advantage and focus on enhancing cross-selling opportunities and originating profitable transactions in conjunction with the product areas
- Conduct portfolio ROE (vs. prior year and budget) analysis, Cross Sell Ratio for portfolios, portfolio credit losses and write-offs, pro-active portfolio management resulting in zero losses in the portfolio (including excess management and facility compliance), portfolio actual revenue and net profit growth analysis and pro-active management of the portfolio pipeline and activities using the appropriate tools.
- Proactive portfolio management, business origination and development within the Portfolio and effective timeous management of the portfolio deal pipeline.
- Comply with routine activities
- Conduct set routine activities such as, produce monthly reporting, reviewing of pricing, interests rates, etc.
- Ensure the accuracy of the data in the system.
- On an annual basis, review the pricing concessions.
- Ensure that the price has been approved by the pricing committee and the client has been advised accordingly.
Client Deal Enablement
- (Note that it is the decision of the CB Head that either a new role is defined / current one extended for the Product Credit Committee (PCC) and Client support functions that CB will provide for all CIB clients across product/business lines).
- Ongoing review of client base for potential High Risk clients.
- Consistent client deal enablement at required standard.
- Guide the development and review credit paper for submission to the Product Credit Committee (PCC).
- Guide the development and review appropriate documentation to complete annual credit review.
- Act as escalation point for any identified risks.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- Undergraduate qualifications in Finance, Economics, Accounting or other relevant degree or equivalent.
- Other relevant qualifications including post graduate qualifications such as an MBA is considered a bonus
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in the client service environment.
- An additional 3 years within the credit or product environment is considered an advantage.