Program Manager, ARISE Tanzania at Winrock International
Terms of Reference for the Program Manager- ARISE Tanzania
Achieving Reduction of Child Labor in Support of Education (ARISE) is a program to help eliminate and prevent child labor in targeted communities in Tabora Province, Tanzania by addressing social and economic factors that drive smallholder tobacco farmers to employ children in hazardous work. It is designed to promote access to quality education, raise awareness of child labor, social mobilization, and economic empowerment in tobacco-growing communities, and improve the relevant regulatory framework.
The Program Manager will be based at the ARISE office in Tabora Province, Tanzania
Reports to: ARISE Africa Regional Program Director
Supervises: M&E Specialist, Field Coordinator, Finance and Administration Officer
Key Working Relationship: Regional M&E Advisor
- Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties and responsibilities of the Program Manager include but are not limited to:
Program Management and Oversight
- Manage all program activities in Tanzania for the ARISE program, including planning, direction and supervision of overall program implementation; recruitment and supervision of staff and consultants; timely preparation and submission of ARISE Tanzania reports; and preparation of work plans and tools for the ARISE Tanzania program.
- Manage partner NGOs and consultants on implementation, monitoring, reporting, and M&E activities.
- Manage the performance review process for ARISE Tanzania staff, working with staff to establish and meet personal performance objectives and developing performance improvement plans if necessary.
Technical leadership and capacity building
- Working with the ARISE African Regional Director, design or adapt tools and training packages that build the capacity of ARISE beneficiaries and stakeholders.
- Lead in the development of SOPs and ensure that staff and partners are familiar with them for all project life cycle activities.
- Provide technical assistance and support to ARISE Tanzania consultants and partner NGOs in child labor/protection.
- Review ARISE Tanzania financial reports and documents such as FOVs and wire requests before their submission to the WI Home Office/Regional Office.
- Manage project assets and oversee financial activity, including maintenance of internal control procedures to ensure that expenses are reasonable, allowable, and necessary and that project assets and premises are used for project activities.
Coordination and collaboration
- Participate in country-level Country Coordinating Committee (CCC) meetings with JTI and share reports and agenda with the Africa Regional Director.
- Working with the M&E Specialist, track ARISE Tanzania data and ensure reporting and progress on ARISE indicators as per the log frame and KPIs.
- If called upon, and time permitting, support Winrock’s CSE group in new business initiatives that build upon the ARISE program and expand Winrock’s efforts in Tanzania through the identification of consultants, competitor analysis, etc. in new business capture work or proposal meetings/assignments from time-to-time as deemed necessary.
Reporting and Documentation
- Lead the drafting and development of monthly, quarterly, and annual reports;
- Document success stories, best practices, and lessons learned and share them with the rest of the program team to facilitate continued improvement and impact.
- Prepare and deliver presentations during ARISE technical meetings outlining the progress on deliverables and their impact on child labor reduction/elimination.
- Qualifications, Experience and Attributes
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized institution in the fields of social sciences, education, rural and community development, agriculture extension, education, etc.
- More than five (5) years progressive experience in program management with International Non-Governmental Organizations (INGOs). Those with prior experience in child protection/child labor programming and management will have an added advantage.
- Sound interpersonal skills, diplomacy and capable of creating open and effective partnerships with all partners and stakeholders.
- A strategist and technical thought leader with continuous appetite for success and quality.
- Demonstrable team player, team builder and motivator.
- Knowledge, experience and skills in participatory rural appraisal (PRA), community and child centered programming coupled with expertise in community development and empowerment models that will help address child labor is desirable.
- Fluent in Kiswahili and other languages spoken in the Tabora Province of Tanzania.