New Job Opportunity at RTI International Tanzania – Senior Grid Extension Advisor (EAEP)
Position: Senior Grid Extension Advisor (EAEP)
Location: Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania, United Republic of, Tanzania, United Republic of, Tanzania, Dar Es Salaam
Research Triangle Institute (RTI) has over 30 years’ experience assisting governments, communities, and the private sector. As a non-for-profit, independent research institute based in North Carolina, USA, RTI has roughly 5,000 employees with global experience implementing international development projects in energy and other disciplines. Around the globe, RTI International is working to develop and implement low emission energy technology alternatives, raise private financing for energy infrastructure, bring efficiency to utilities, work with governments on legal and regulatory reforms to alleviate bottlenecks in energy generation and consumption, and increase access to green energy to sustain economic growth and reduce poverty. We serve as a chosen partner for USAID’s Power Africa program in sub-Sahara Africa and have a growing international energy portfolio of over $200 million across Africa, Asia, and the Pacific Islands.
RTI is implementing on behalf of Power Africa/USAID a four-year, 10-country energy program focused on East Africa, the East Africa Energy Program (EAEP). Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, and Uganda comprise the EAEP priority countries. Other project countries include Djibouti, Eritrea, Somalia, Burundi, and the Democratic Republic of Congo. This four-year task order runs through December 2022.
RTI is hiring a Senior Grid Extension Advisor to oversee all work under EAEP’s Objective 2, Increased Grid-Based Power Connections, which focuses on adding new grid-based customers and reducing the cost and time requirements of adding new customers. This position will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and will be responsible for overseeing the work in multiple countries. This position will be responsible for facilitating the connection of new end-users to the grid via regularization, grid densification, and grid extension – with a focus on enhancing the cost-effectiveness and speed of electrification. They will promote increased grid-based productive and direct use applications and reduced grid connection costs for both customers and utilities
- Lead Objective 2 Team – and supervise 7 direct reports and manage various sub- contractors
- Support utilities with long-term planning of transmission and distribution networks, including load forecasting, system analysis studies (load flow, fault and dynamic studies) with the aid of engineering simulation software (PSS/E, PSS Sincal, DigSilent, or similar) documented in master or expansion plans
- Support utilities and rural electrification agencies in reducing the cost of connections and time required to connect to the grid
- Work with the relevant utility/regulator to design and implement innovative, alternative business models for new on-grid connections
- Work with the relevant stakeholders and utilities to create demand for on-grid connections in several East African countries
- Develop training workshop programs and train utility staff on integrating geospatial and engineering platforms into their daily operations and electrification plans
- Improve utilities’ procurement procedures and train them on how to follow the guidelines and templates of international lending agencies or donors
- Support utilities with rehabilitation and expansion of transmission and distribution (T&D) networks by providing them with technical assistance on T&D operational improvements
- Manage subcontractor’s tasks and deliverables as per all above.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 12 years of experience, Master’s degree and 10 years of experience, PhD and 6 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in utility transmission and distribution planning and grid extension, with 5 years direct international work experience in developing countries; experience in East Africa desirable.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have PSS/E, PSS/Sincal, DigSilent or similar experience.
MODE OF APPLICATION: APPLY ONLINE
TO APPLY CLICK HERE!