New Job Opportunity at D-Tree International Tanzania – Senior Project Coordinator
Senior Project Coordinator
Reports to: Program Manager
Location: Stone Town, Unguja, Zanzibar
Start Date: March 15, 2021.
Who we are
D-tree International is on a mission to radically improve health by strengthening health systems through innovations in digital technology. D-tree works through partnerships with Ministries of Health and NGOs to bring human-centered design approaches to collaborations in which we support partners to understand local health system challenges and opportunities, and integrate technology into these systems to improve the accessibility, quality and accountability of healthcare delivery, ultimately leading to high-performing health systems that improve health and wellbeing for all. A key aspect of our work is our end-to-end partnership, in which we also support partners to use systems thinking to roll out, implement and monitor programs and facilitate a culture of data use among multiple stakeholders. D-tree has received funding from USAID, the Gates Foundation, Rockefeller Foundation, Foundation Botnar, Human Development Innovation Fund, Packard Foundation, UN Foundation and more than 20 international NGOs. As a pioneer in the field of digital health, D-tree has supported more than 8,000 health workers serving over 5 million families in 16 countries throughout sub-Saharan Africa and Asia.
D-tree has been working in Zanzibar since 2010 on projects focused on maternal and child health and digital health systems. In close collaboration with the Zanzibar Ministry of Health and Ministry of Local Government (PORALGSD), D-tree has trained more than 1,000 Community Health Volunteers (CHVs) who as part of the Jamii ni Afya community health program. The program support Community Health Volunteers to utilize digital tools to provide high quality care to women, children and their families to improve health, nutrition, and child development outcomes. The program is expected to expand to include additional services and reach all communities in Zanzibar in 2021 and beyond.
Who you are
We are seeking a full time Senior Project Coordinator, based in Stone Town, Zanzibar, to work closely with the Program Manager and Program Director and manage specific project objectives within the Zanzibar portfolio. This is a dynamic and challenging role requiring an individual with strong project management skills and experience coordinating complex activities with a broad range of stakeholders.
What you will do
As Senior Project Coordinator, the Employee will be responsible for ‘owning’ project objectives—taking initiative and responsibility for ensuring objectives are met—while working closely with the Program Manager and collaboratively with the D-tree Zanzibar team. The Senior Project Coordinator will take a leading role on various initiatives, which may be programmatic, organizational, and/or related to government engagement efforts. Key responsibilities include:
– Support the Program Manager to manage and implement project objectives, including developing work plans, budgets, monitoring of activities and continuous quality improvement, external report writing and ensuring compliance with donor agreements.
– With the Program Manager, develop project implementation strategies and work plans with the team including quarterly and monthly work plans and budgets.
– Support development of digital tool design specifications including flow charts, detailed protocols, and dashboards.
Implement Jamii ni Afya program activities including:
- Support government teams to lead recruitment, training, and supportive supervision of CHVs
- Build capacity of supervisors, CHMT and MOH officials to play active program management roles and utilize data.
- Regularly meet and communicate with government health teams to develop joint workplans and keep them updated on program developments.
- Oversee implementation of large program activities including CHV training and supervision. o Regularly engage government health teams in program reviews and lead strategic conversations on program improvements or additional interventions required in order to maximize health outcomes. o Monitor the maintenance of the CHV programs in Unguja and Pemba by following up with CHVs and supervisors to monitor performance and encourage high performance.
- Proactively communicate about technological or programmatic issues in the field and work with relevant teams to identify solutions and continuously improve the effectiveness of our interventions and mobile applications
- Identify programmatic weaknesses and recommend program improvements. Work with Program Manager to develop and implement resolutions.
- With support from Program Manager, Technical Advisor, and Administrative and Finance Officer, plan and coordinate quarterly review meetings to be held in Unguja and Pemba.
- Collaborate with Program Manager and Administrative and Finance officer on monthly budget forecasts.
- Monitor and report on progress on project objectives and toward performance targets; ensure D-tree staff and partners are kept on track to achieve results.
- Contribute to design and implementation of program monitoring, quality improvement, and supervision frameworks, key performance indicators, tools, and implementation and review approaches in collaboration with MEL and Program Managers. In collaboration with the D-tree team and external research partners, contribute to design and implementation of mixed methods project evaluations and learning activities, including development of tools, oversight of data collection, and analysis.
- Contribute to writing donor reports, internal reporting, documenting program learning through case studies and success stories, and results dissemination efforts.
Organizational Management and Team Leadership
– Coordinate with Operations team to plan, prepare, and implement project activities
– Manage and mentorjunior staff. Ensure that staff are motivated, empowered and given professional development opportunities.
– Responsibilities include:
- Approving staff timesheets
- Approving advances and expenses
- Supporting staff in designing Performance Action Plans and providing regular feedback o Supporting staff to develop OKRs and complete quarterly performance reviews
– Support recruitment process to interview, onboard and integrate new staff into the team
Partnerships and Government Engagement
- In close collaboration with the program leadership, foster effective working relationship with Zanzibar government officials, leading communication at district health team level and ensuring alignment of project implementation approaches
- Build capacity of district health team members to effectively use data for decision-making
- • Represent D-tree and communicate our strategy and role effectively through available fora
- • Present project learning and results at meetings and conferences
We are looking for a motivated, passionate individual who is willing to wear multiple hats and do what it takes to make our projects succeed. The following attributes are a general overview, but we will consider individuals who do not meet all of the details below if you have the right skillset and attitude.
- Minimum of 4 years’ work experience, including experience managing work plans, monitoring programs, and reporting
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (e.g. public health, sociology)
- Superior analytic skills; ability to think logically and rationally about problems
- Must be able to work independently, multi-task, collaborate with a distributed team, be persistent and work under tight deadlines
- Quantitative skills with the ability to interpret data and integrate program monitoring and learning findings into program improvement activities
- Excellent written and spoken English and Swahili
- Strong preference for candidates from Zanzibar or with experience working in Zanzibar • Understanding of Zanzibar health system and experience collaborating with Ministry of Health and Council Health Management Teams.
- Prior experience managing and/or implementing community health programs
- Prior experience with designing and implementing digital health programs
- Prior experience managing and training health workers in a clinical setting
- Desired characteristics
- A can-do attitude: You remain optimistic in the face of adversity and creatively solve problems to get things done.
- A systems thinker: You are able to understand linkages and interactions between individual components in a health system, and design solutions to strengthen the overall system.
- An innovator: You enjoy thinking outside of the box and want to use that thinking to solve pressingglobal health problems.
- A detail oriented & strategic thinker: You pay attention to small details and focus on quality and consistency, but also have the ability to see the big picture and think strategically.
- We go above and beyond because people’s health and lives are at stake
- We respectfully challenge the status quo as we are always in search of a better way
- • We think big because we have faith in our ability to succeed
- We keep the people we work for and with at the center of everything we do
- We value balance between work and life
- We are excellent stewards of time, resources and money
- We continuously learn and adapt to become the best version of ourselves
- We believe that our strength lies in our diversity and how we perform as a team
To apply for this role please follow the instructions below. Applications which do not meet these requirements will not be considered. This position is open to Tanzanian nationals only.
You will need to include:
- Cover letter, clearly and concisely explaining how you meet the required skills and experience specified above
- Your current Curriculum Vitae (CV), showing your work history & achievements, including 3 professional references
Deadline for applications: February 19, 2021
To apply for this position, please fill in the form through the link below…