OPPORTUNITIES FOR RESEARCH TRAINEE (4 POSITIONS)
The Economic and Social Research Foundation (ESRF), an independent policy think tank in Tanzania undertakes and facilitates research aiming at enhancing the understanding of policy options for development management in Tanzania. Foundation’s primary objectives include undertaking policy research, coordinating knowledge management and innovation as well enhancing the capacity development of different sectors/actors of Tanzania’s development process. The mandate of ESRF includes also capacity strengthening of Tanzania’s intellectual resources – both producers and users of knowledge.
Mentoring and coaching of junior and intermediate researchers is one of the Foundation’s initiatives aiming at building the capacity of young researchers in policy research. Through this program, the ESRF provides opportunities for young researchers to work at the ESRF as Research Assistants for a period of one year under supervision of senior researchers. In this regard, the ESRF is pleased to announce opportunities for research assistantship for four (4) research trainees for a one year period of July, 2019 to July, 2020 as follows:
S/N Field of specialization/discipline Number of required research trainees
Economics, Agricultural Economics Rural Development and Planning Agricultural Education/Extension Development Studies (with a focus on rural development)
Urban and Regional Planning Human Settlement Studies Development Planning (with a focus on urbanization)
Sociology, Anthropology, Humanities Development studies (with a focus on on culture/society)
Public health, Health Economics, Development studies (major in public/community health) 1
This program is particularly designed to provide the candidates with an opportunity of gaining practical work experience through active engagement in day to day activities at the ESRF. Our experience has demonstrated that by starting as research trainees, many previous beneficiaries of this program have managed to excel in their career within ESRF, in the government, in international organizations and elsewhere. The ESRF will provide the successful candidates with modest stipend during their period of service.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The research trainees are expected to carry out Foundation’s day to day activities at a capacity of research assistants. In particular, the candidates are expected to carry out the following activities:-
- Prepare proposals for research projects; undertake actual research and prepare research reports;
- Assist senior researchers in executing research, policy analysis and capacity building projects;
- Prepare presentations and work with projects team members in disseminating research findings;
- Draft letters, make necessary appointments and arrange logistics that will facilitate a research/task to be accomplished
- Write minutes of meetings, proceedings of workshops/conferences;
- Collect, analyze, compile data and prepare statistical annexes for the research reports
- Develop a habit of reading widely in order to acquire new knowledge, skills and information.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by his/her seniors from time to time.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- Candidates should possess master’s degree in the relevant disciplines with a minimum of Upper Second Grade.
- Not more than 2 years of work experience after graduation of master’s degree
- Excellent written, verbal communication and oral presentation skills (Fluency in English and Swahili)
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills required as well as the ability to work independently and in a team
- Good interpersonal skills
- Multi-tasking skills and ability to work under pressure
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested Candidates should submit:
- An Application letter and Curriculum Vitae (CV) with current email and phone numbers
- Copies of academic certificates from Secondary to Tertiary education
The deadline for receiving applications is Monday 22nd July 2019. Only successful applicants shall be contacted not later than Friday 31st July 2019.
Applications should be addressed to:-
Economic and Social Research Foundation,
51 Uporoto Street, Ursino Estates,
P.O. Box 31226
Dar es Salaam.