Evaluation and Research Immediate Supervisor Job at Elizabeth Glaser The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation
Vacancy title: Evaluation and Research Immediate Supervisor
Job Grade: 8
Immediate Supervisor: Country Director
Location: Dar es salaam
The Associate Director, Evaluation and Research (ADER), supervised by the Country Director, will lead lead and manage the EGPAF/Tanzania’s portfolio of research and evaluation activities including the generation of proposals and other requests for funding related to HIV clinical, implementation, or program effectiveness research.
Working in close coordination with the Technical and Strategic Information (SI) teams, the ADER will directly contribute to the generation of a strong evidence base to improve the effective delivery of quality programs to further the mission of EGPAF/Tanzania, improving the lives of people and communities infected and affected by HIV in Tanzania and beyond. the effective delivery of quality programs to further the mission of EGPAF/Tanzania, improving the lives of people and communities infected and affected by HIV in Tanzania and beyond.
The ADER will develop evaluation concepts, proposals and protocols with the aim of identifying improved technical assistance approaches, service delivery models and/or patient outcomes. Working closely with technical program team members, the ADER will support EGPAF staff to conduct internal program optimization evaluations.
The ADER will lead EGPAF contributions to and facilitation of analytic collaboration with the Government of Tanzania (GoT), developing concepts and analysis plans, building capacity through collaboration with GoT counterparts, and leading or facilitating the data analysis and dissemination of findings locally and internationally meetings, abstracts, manuscripts)
The ADER will contribute to building capacity of EGPAF technical and SIE team members in higher level data analytics, and data interpretation. The ADER will provide guidance in evaluation design, specifically with regard to sampling, tool development, data capture systems, and validation/cleaning of evaluation datasets. He/she will also serve as Principal or co-Investigator on selected protocols. The ADER must be able to work effectively within a multidisciplinary team within and outside of EGPAF (particularly with GoT counterparts).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Research and Evaluation
• Oversee and coordinate the implementation of operations research protocols, including: Research conceptualization and study design
• Writing/amending protocols and managing IRB approval processes : Tracking study participation human subjects’ recruitment, follow-up, withdrawals, etc.)
• Managing budgets o Interpreting and disseminate study findings o Abstract and manuscript writing
• Direct and oversee research regulatory compliance (human subjects training, regulatory files, protocol approvals/progress/closure, document data storage, etc.), liaising with the EGPAF global regulatory officer to ensure all human subjects’ research protections are .., in place and all protocols undergo appropriate sponsor U.S.and Tanzania IRB review and approval
• Work closely with appropriate technical staff at GoT and EGPAF to develop analytic concept notes under the “Reaching 90-90-90”. Patient and Program
• Outcomes Protocol (PPOP)
• Lead EGPAF’s program optimization approach (POA) capacity building within and outside of the evaluation/research unit, engaging technical staff at all levels in planning and executing structured data-driven internal program evaluations.
• Monitor and support POA implementation, data analysis and dissemination of findings. Contribute to EGPAF technical team member capacity in using data to describe program outputs and outcomes, and critically interpret program associations.
Lead in preparation of study reports, abstracts and manuscripts and dissemination of results at district, national, and international levels
Collaborate with the global Research team and research teams across EGPAF programs to leverage global expertise, share experiences, and facilitate multi-country research activities
Work with CD to ensure research is well resourced and support solicitation of new funding for Foundation priority research areas.
Any other responsibilities as assigned.
Essential Skills and Knowledge
• Knowledge of protection of human subjects in research and ethics regulations to ensure compliance with all local and international requirements
• Knowledge and understanding of HIV services, PMTCT, MCH, pediatric and adult HIV care and treatment
• Evidence of independent completion of complex data analyses using a common statistical package (STATA, SAS, SPSS, R) – published manuscripts, master’s dissertation, project reports, etc.
• Proficiency in data capture and data management, using Microsoft Aerobe Eni Info Kobo ODK etr analyses using a common statistical package (STATA, SAS, SPSS, R) – published manuscripts, master’s dissertation, project reports, etc. Proficiency in data capture and data management, using Microsoft Access, Epi-info, Kobo, ODK, etc
• Strong organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize, take initiative and follow-through
• Ability to exercise diplomacy and build partnerships and consensus, within teams, governmental agencies and with other stakeholders,
• Proven ability to work effectively as a member of a dynamic team in a fast-paced environment
• Excellent oral and written communication skills (English and Kiswahili); strong critical thinking, problem solving and attentiveness to detail.
• Conducts work and him/herself with Integrity, commitment and respect for others
Required Qualifications Education and Experience
• MD, PhD or similar advanced degree in Epidemiology or Biostatistics
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience in health research in developing countries, including protocol development, design of surveys, data collection, data analysis, and .. scientific writing
• Experience in scientific writing including presentations in local and international conferences
• Strong mentorship skills in research and evaluation including grant and proposal writing, data analysis and scientific writing
• Strong evidence in managing and conducting research and dissemination of research products through publication in local and international peer reviewed journals
• Experience with soliciting research approvals from local and national review bodies.
Job application procedure
EGPAF is an equal opportunities employer and the position is open to all. Qualified candidates should submit a CV, cover letter and relevant certificates explaining how the experience detailed in the CV will contribute to the requirements of the position and references to EGPAF.
Submissions to be sent to:
P.O. BOX 1628, 395 Ursino Park, Mwai Kibaki Road,
Morocco.Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 31st January, 2020. Only shortlisted will be contacted.